Tyler Smies FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Local teen golfers awarded trips across the country this summer
GRAND RAPIDS, MI – June 24, 2019 – Eight local teen golfers are getting away this summer through trips made possible through The First Tee, a youth nonprofit organization that teaches values, life skills and healthy habits through the game of golf.
The First Tee of West Michigan, one of 175 chapters of The First Tee across the world, has had more students selected for leadership academies in 2019 than any previous year. Prior to these recent selections, two teens were already selected for a weeklong trip and academy in Naples, Florida in February, competing against other participants from across the country.
Students who attend The First Tee of West Michigan apply for national opportunities, competing against thousands of other participants who attend class at other First Tee chapters. Below is a list of local teens who have been selected this year, where they are headed, and the name of the academy or award they were selected for. All eight teens play or intend to play on their respective local high school golf teams.
- Sierra Berlin | Senior, Grandville High School | San Francisco, CA | John Deere Drive Your Future Academy | June 24-28
- Jorge Garcia | Senior, Wyoming High School | Boise, ID | Joe Louis Barrow Jr. Life Skills & Leadership Academy | July 24-30
- Alex Karhunen | Junior, Jenison High School | Nantucket Island, MA | Sankaty Country Club Caddie Camp | June 15 – August 20
- Adam Koval | Freshman, Forest Hills Central High School | Benton Harbor, MI | Nancy Tennant Leadership Academy | July 23-27
- Bradley Lardie | Freshman, Jenison High School | Benton Harbor, MI | Nancy Tennant Leadership Academy | July 23-27
- Connor Penn | Sophomore, West Catholic High School | Boise, ID | Joe Louis Barrow Jr. Life Skills & Leadership Academy | July 24-30
- Shelbie Perski | Sophomore, Ottawa Hills High School | Benton Harbor, MI | Nancy Tennant Leadership Academy | July 23-27
- Jack Seufert | Junior, East Grand Rapids High School | Ranch Palos Verdes, CA | CoBank Peak Performers Academy, & Wells Fargo Essay Writing Contest Finalist | August 21-24
“We will work with more than 1,000 students at The First Tee of West Michigan this year, and these teens are some of our finest. They are strong golfers, but more importantly exemplify theNine Core Values we teach. We are ecstatic to have so many selected when the competition amongst their peers across the country is so stiff. We know that they will represent our chapter well on a national stage while also learning and meeting other students from around the country,” said Executive Director Tyler Smies.
For more information on The First Tee of West Michigan, contact 616-208-1177, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit thefirstteewestmichigan.org. ###
Homework and Hitting The First Tee Homework & Hitting program was created to inspire our participants to excel socially, academically, and athletically. Homework & Hitting is a one-of-kind program that has been recognized at a national level by The First Tee. No other chapter in the country ...Read More
MAKE A DONATION TODAY! ...Read More
Words From Spencer’s mother, Jennifer “As a parent, it is my goal to help my children grow up to be adults with integrity, who value and respect life and those around them. So you can imagine my surprise and excitement one year ago when I opened up the Grand Rapids Parks and Recreati...Read More
Our two most well-used locations are open 4 nights a week from November through March! The Highlands (2715 Leonard St. NW, Grand Rapids)- Tuesday & Thursdays, 4:30-7:30 pm Fellowship Greens (3450 36th St. SE, Grand Rapids) – Mondays & Wednesdays, 4-6:30 pm New Opportunities at Homework...Read More
4 Person Scramble Monday, August 1, 2016 Thousand Oaks Golf Club 12:30 PM Shotgun (11:30 AM Registration) Join us for The First Tee of West Michigan’s 6th Annual Golf Outing held at our new venue Thousand Oaks Golf Club located at 4100 Thousand Oaks Dr, in Grand Rapids. Play in the outi...Read More